In the late 18th and early 19th century Methodism had taken root under the guiding hand of John Wesley. He and his followers, principally Hugh Bourne, travelled on horseback throughout North Staffordshire and Derbyshire preaching to and converting the working classes.
Within the space of twenty years chapels and meeting houses sprang up throughout the industrial towns and rural villages of the Midlands. Doveridge Methodist Chapel built in 1805, the same year as the Battle of Trafalgar, is a fine example of chapel building of the period. The Methodist Chapel is still in regular use and is part of the Dove Valley Methodist Circuit.