On Lower Street, the oldest road in the village stands two of the oldest properties; Deaville’s Farm of Elizabethan style and The Gables, a sixteenth century farmhouse. The deeds of The Gables dated 1712 give details of its occupancy at that time:
1712 Elizabeth and John Wall on the first part to Mary Webb, Catherine Webb, William Brown, William Turner, William Savage and Thomas Webb.
It appears that the practice of the time was for the owner to lease the property and several families may have lived there at any one time. They may have simply rented a room or been employed in service or worked on the farm. The village Dame Schools are recorded in the 18th century and it is thought likely that one was housed in The Gables.
The house changed hands at regular intervals until it was eventually sold in 1976 to West Derbyshire District Council who purchased the property and land for building purposes. The house deteriorated quite badly until it was bought by Mr & Mrs D. Hall at auction in 1990. They undertook extensive repairs in a most sympathetic manner and many original features have been exposed.