Cavendish Memorial Well
The well situated at the junction of Cook Lane and Church Lane is one of a number of wells which served the needs of the village up until the 1920’s. A total of fifteen wells dotted around the village have been located and many villagers preferred to use the spring water long after a piped water supply was introduced.
The canopy was erected by the Cavendish family to commemorate the life of Captain the Honourable Frederick Cavendish 1799 to 1877.
The circular seat was provided by the Doveridge Women’s Institute to commemorate the Festival of Britain in 1951. The garden area was created by the Doveridge WI as their contribution to Conservation Year in 1971.